Business BTEC Level 3 National Certificate
- Course length
- 1 year full-time
Students taking their first steps towards a new career need the right blend of technical and academic skills in order to become the highly skilled, work-ready individuals both employers and universities look for. BTEC Level 3 Nationals are vocational qualifications that have been developed in collaboration with over 5,000 universities, employers and professional bodies guided by demands of employability and academic progression.
The BTEC Level 3 Certificate is broadly equivalent to one GCE AS Level. It comprises of two mandatory units: Exploring Business and Developing a Marketing Campaign.
On successful completion of this course students can progress onto the National Foundation Diploma / National Extended Diploma
The National Foundation Diploma is equivalent to 1.5 A-levels and the National Extended Diploma equates to 3 A-levels
Why should I choose this course?
- This Certificate is a modern, work-related qualification which will open the door to higher education and professional careers.
- The course is designed with a clear purpose – to support progression to degree-level study or employment.
- It builds high-level skills such as teamwork, creative thinking and presentation skills – all of which are valued by employers.
- You will develop independent research and study skills, which are essential for success at university and are transferrable to the workplace.
Why maths and English are so important to your career
Achieving a good level of English and maths is important so you can compete in today’s labour market and secure the career you have always wanted. Alongside your full-time course, you will continue to develop your English and maths skills. If you haven’t yet achieved GCSE grade 4 (grade C) in English and maths at 16, you will continue to study these subjects by resits or by taking Functional Skills at an appropriate level. We will support you all the way, so there is no need to worry.
Proficiency in mathematics is vital for success in the business industry, for both strategic planning and for the smooth, every day running of a company. For example, maths is important for:
- Calculating production costs, including materials, machinery, labour, expenses and marketing
- Working out the price of goods, so you can stay in profit
- Running a payroll system, to ensure workers get paid correctly
- Ordering goods and services
- Working out your business accounts
As with maths, it is difficult to over-state the importance of good English skills. English is important in the world of business because:
- Good quality speaking and listening skills are needed when communicating with colleagues and customers
- Customer service skills require good English skills in speaking and written communication
- Accurate reading is vital for following instructions, reading documents and emails, and understanding the ideas, aspirations and demands of colleagues and competitors
- English is important when preparing a CV and a business proposal, and for putting together advertising and marketing plans for your business
Teaching and assessment
You will be assessed through coursework assignments and projects, some of which will involve industry-related visits and external assessment.
Our teaching and assessment is underpinned by our Teaching, Learning and Assessment Strategy 2015-2020.
- Normally, you will require a minimum of 4 GCSEs at grade 4 (grade C) or above, or equivalent.
- Or a BTEC level 2 Diploma
- Alternatively, at least 2 years’ relevant work experience
- School applicants will be required to provide a good school report and references
- You should be committed, enthusiastic and have a desire to succeed in the tourism industry
- If you do not have a grade 4 (grade C) or above in English and/or maths and you are under 19, you will be required to complete an assessment so we can ensure you receive appropriate support.
What will I study?
Whatever your aspirations are for the future, you will need to understand about business. In this introductory unit, you will study purposes of different businesses, their structure and the wider effect of market trends and the global financial environment. You will gain a good grounding of the dynamic and innovative methods businesses must develop to survive.
Developing a Marketing Campaign
Marketing is a dynamic field central to the success of any business. In this module, you will gain an understanding of how a marketing campaign is developed. You will examine the different stages of campaign development within a business, as well as develop your own campaign for a given product/service.
Your study programme
In addition to your full-time course every student has an individual study programme which ensures that you develop the right skills and experience to progress onto either higher education or gain employment. What’s included in your individual study programme will vary depending on what you have already achieved and your career aspirations.
For example; if you haven’t yet achieved grade 4 (grade C) in English and maths at 16 you will continue to study these by resits or by taking Functional Skills at an appropriate level. Achieving a good level of English and maths is important so that you can compete in today’s labour market and securing the career you’ve always wanted.
You will undertake a work placement one day each week.
The ever-changing nature of the business sector means career opportunities are hugely varied and rewarding. The BTEC National Extended Diploma is a fantastic foundation to a variety of careers due to the focus on the development of practical business skills.
You might be attracted by roles in marketing and advertising, finance, including accountancy, Enterprise (starting your own business), the creative industries, retail or general business management.
You may want to build on your knowledge and take a higher level foundation degree or degree in a related field, such as Business Enterprise, Marketing Management or Digital Marketing, which could lead to higher paid jobs in the future.
The team at hired@UCB – our student placement and careers service – can help you with advice, information and guidance in finding a job. It can help you develop your work-related skills.
Based in new facilities on the 7th floor of our Summer Row campus, the hired@UCB team comprises specialist staff to help with:
- Careers advice and guidance
- Placements, work experience and volunteering
- Unitemps – UCB's recruitment agency
- Employer engagement
- Part-time and seasonal work
- Internships, apprenticeships and traineeships
- Alumni support
Find out more about hired@UCB services.
Read what our current students and alumni love about UCB and how we helped them begin their career in industry.
Level 3 Business