The degree is accredited by University College Birmingham.
This degree is subject to approval.
Starting January 2021.
Nursing Associate Apprenticeship
- Course length
- 2 years + end-point assessment
The apprenticeship will develop the trainee nursing associate into a highly-trained professional to support the delivery of safe, effective and responsive nursing care.
Within the apprenticeship, the trainee nursing associate must meet the 15 standards set in the Care Certificate, complete a level 5 Foundation Degree and an end-point assessment.
The skills and knowledge required are set out in the Nursing Associate Curriculum (HEE 2017).
Why should I choose this course?
- You will be able to demonstrate the values required in a nursing profession; caring, compassionate, honest, conscientious and committed
- You will develop a range of behaviours and skills; leadership, reliability, discretion, resilience and self-awareness
- The course emphasises the role nursing associates play across the lifespan (preconception to end of life) and their contribution to the delivery of holistic care
- The course structure offers a variety of learning approaches and assessments, including the use of simulation environments within the Health Hub• We stress the development of personal and practical skills in observation, interpretation, information processing and presentation, all of which are valued by employers
- The apprenticeship is taught by subject experts who aim to be innovative, and meet workplace and national standards
Teaching & assessment
Online materials support one day per week of formal teaching at University College Birmingham. Practitioners are assigned a practice supervisor/practice assessor in the workplace to support clinical assessment in practice and an academic assessor who will visit you in your workplace, and provide personalised feedback.
Trainee nursing associates must experience placements in each of the following settings:
- At home
- Close to home
The primary placement (employment) may be based in one setting, the student must have at least one training placement in each of the two other settings
You will need to study outside of the timetabled hours. Some weeks, the amount of time you need for personal study will increase, especially when completing assessments. UCB Online provides 24-hour access to learning and support material.
Our teaching and assessment is underpinned by our Teaching, Learning and Assessment Strategy 2015-2020.
Applicants must be working a minimum of 30 hours per week in an appropriate role, and have their employer’s agreement and support to undertake this apprenticeship.
GCSE / IGCSE English A*-C grades or 9-4 grades or equivalent in English and maths (e.g. Functional Skills Level 2).
Students must also complete a Disclosure and Barring Service check (Enhanced DBS).
Students will need to demonstrate an ability to study at Level 4 and 5.
If you have any queries, please contact Kathy Riley 0121 604 1000
Fundamentals in Delivering Effective Care
Study Skills for Nursing Associates
Person Centred Care
Understanding Health and Wellbeing
Delivering and Evaluating Effective Care
Leadership and Teamwork in Practice
Promoting Public Health across the Lifespan
Professional and Ethical Values in Nursing Associate Practice
This course opens opportunities to progress to higher level positions in health and social care and broaden professional skills.
Some graduates continue their studies and undertake additional qualifications in subjects including health, social care and teaching.
hired@UCB is our student and alumni support service designed to provide a single reference point for information, advice and guidance regarding opportunities to develop and demonstrate employability and enterprise skills.
Based on the 7th floor of our Summer Row campus, in newly-refurbished facilities, the hired team comprises specialist and qualified staff with knowledge and experience of:
- Careers advice and guidance
- Placements, work experience and volunteering
- Employer engagement
- Part-time and seasonal work
- Internships, apprenticeships and traineeships
- Graduate schemes and alumni support
- Unitemps – UCB's recruitment agency
Find out more about hired@UCB services.