Food Technologist Level 3 (Standard)
- 24-30 months
The Food Technologist apprenticeship is designed to develop and establish a graded level of performance of food and drink technologists, so they have the necessary skills, knowledge and behaviours to work effectively in technical functions in food and drink processing or manufacturing operations.
On achievement of the apprenticeship, learners will have developed valuable skills, which will enable them to make an immediate, productive and positive contribution to their employment. They will be empowered to learn, develop and progress their learning experiences and promotional opportunities. They will be able to develop and maintain professional relationships with colleagues in a technical role within a food business.
Who is it suitable for?
The Food Technologist apprenticeship is designed for learners who are looking to learn and apply their skills in a food technologist role in a food and drink processing or manufacturing environment. Learners who have some experience of advanced process operations and wish to continue their professional development will also benefit from the knowledge, understanding and skills the apprenticeship provides.
Why should I choose this course?
- Gain new skills and knowledge
- Achieve a Level 3 Diploma in in Food Technology
- Career progression
- Opportunity to consider new career pathways
Knowledge and understanding of:
- Food industry regulations
- Raw materials and storage
- Food science
- Application of food technology
- Health and safety
- Food safety management
- Technical and quality management
- Product development
- Continuous improvement
- Resolution of technical problems
- Conducting quality and sensory evaluation
- Interpretation and analysis of technical information and data
Teaching & assessment
You will need to complete tasks and portfolios for assessment. A qualified assessor will examine the evidence, which is then approved by the internal verifier, followed by the external verifier (appointed by the awarding organisation). Once you have achieved the level 3 Diploma in Food Technology and level 2 Functional Skills in English and Maths (if required), you will then be required to complete the end-point assessment, which is marked assessed by an external assessor.
Our teaching and assessment is underpinned by our Teaching, Learning and Assessment Strategy 2015-2020.
End Point Assessment
All apprenticeship standards require successful completion of end point assessments graded by an approved external apprenticeship organisation. Successful completion of the Level 3 Food Technologist Apprenticeship involves a multi-choice questionnaire, a job-related workplace project and presentation and a professional discussion.
In order to apply to this apprenticeship, you should ideally:
- Be over 16 and in full-time employment
- Already be working in a suitable role (however, if you are not, UCB may be able to assist you in finding one)
- For entry to the Level 3 apprenticeship, you will need to have relevant Level 2 qualifications, or GCSE grade 4 (grade C) in English and maths. A science qualification at GCSE grade 4 or above would be advantageous but not essential
- You will be required to attend an interview at UCB
If you have experience of working in the industry we would also be delighted to hear from you.
If you want to become an apprentice and are currently unemployed, you can approach local employers independently or view our current employer vacancies. If you are in work and want to commit to an apprenticeship, we can advise you on what your next steps should be.
For more information please contact the Apprenticeship team:
By telephone: 0121 232 4091 (Monday-Friday 9am-5pm)
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org