Help at Hand - Student Support Services

The Student Information Suite is located on the 7th floor of UCB’sSummer Row Campus. It consists of three student support areas:

Student Services

Student Services is a one stop shop for all students, providing information, advice and guidance on non-academic matters. A range of support is available through the Student Services Unit and there is no need to arrange an appointment - just drop in and speak to a member of the team. They offer advice on:

  • Accommodation
  • Financial Support
  • Health and Wellbeing
  • Mentoring


The University owns and manages accommodation for more than 1000 students in two purpose-built halls of residence in central Birmingham.

The Maltings

The purpose-built Maltings student accommodation is owned and managed by University College Birmingham and is situated in the heart of the city centre on Granville Street, between Broad Street and Bath Row.

The Maltings, whose name is inspired by the brewery formerly based at the site, is popular with students attending the University for the first time. It is conveniently located only 10 to 15 minutes’ walk from the main campus and comprises 827 study bedrooms, including 809 en-suite rooms, of which five are twins.

Further details, costs and virtual tours can be see on the Accommodation section of the UCB website.

Cambrian Hall

Cambrian Hall is ideally located only 150 yards from the University's Summer Row site and a couple of minutes’ walk from Birmingham’s city centre shops, bars, restaurants, rail and coach stations.

Cambrian Hall is a purpose-built hall of residence providing 247 student places. Popular with mature and overseas students, it is a self-catering hall with each flat accommodating 10 students in single study bedrooms.

Further details, costs and virtual tours can be see on the Accommodation section of the UCB website.

Financial Support

In addition to the loans and grants available, there are other means of financial support and funding for some students who fit particular circumstances.


All full-time university (higher education) students should apply to Student Finance England for help with childcare costs. The amount you can receive depends on your financial circumstances. The application form (CCG1) is available from the Gov.UK site.

Need help finding suitable childcare?

For information about childcare providers, please visit Birmingham City Council's Childcare pages

Higher Education Access Fund

If you are a home or EU student studying a university (Higher Education) course and you fall into financial difficulty you may be able to access additional funding. In line with funding regulations, applications are prioritised for:

  • Students with dependent children, especially single parents
  • Mature students with existing financial commitments
  • Students with disabilities
  • Students who previously were in care or care leavers
  • Students who were homeless or living in a 'foyer' for young people

Please note: Each application is assessed individually by our student budget counsellor and the size of awards varies depending on individual circumstances and the level of need. Applying to the fund does not guarantee that an award will be made.

  • I haven't received my Student Finance, what can I do?

You may be able to access a short-term loan to cover your essential living costs until you receive your maintenance payments from Student Finance. You will need to provide the following evidence:

  • Proof of your application to Student Finance
  • A copy of your latest bank statement as evidence that you do not have the funds to financially support yourself.

Care Leavers

If you are a Care Leaver coming to study with us, you may be able to access additional financial support to help with your transition into university. The Children (Leaving Care) Act 2000 defines a care leaver as someone who has been in the care of the Local Authority for a period of 13 weeks or more following their 16th birthday.

Our financial support offer includes:

  • Funded pre-payment of rent (£275) and up to four weeks to pay your £200 security deposit if you choose to stay in UCB Halls of Residence
  • UniKitOut full kit out silver pack ( ready for when you move into our Halls of Residence
  • £200 cash payment in semester 2 (subject to satisfactory attendance)

The financial support offer is available to eligible students in their first year of study only.

In addition, you can access:

  • Pre-arrival budgeting advice and assistance with the Student Finance application process
  • Priority access to our HE Access Fund, if necessary
  • Summer accommodation at our Halls of Residence

For further information on any of the above forms of support, please visit the Financial Supportsection of the UCB website.

Health and Wellbeing

Here at UCB, we want to help you get the most out of your time with us. We recognise that good health and wellbeing are fundamental for effective study and a positive student experience.

There are many environmental stresses and personal difficulties which are likely to affect you as a student, so UCB has a free and confidential Health & Wellbeing Service which is open to everyone.

The service strives to promote and encourage healthy lifestyles and positive mental health and the team is on-hand to help you manage any difficulties or concerns you may have.   

Nurse and Medical Service

The Nursing Service is here to provide you with practical advice and assistance regarding medical needs while you are studying with us. The Nurse can assist with a number of practical issues, such as:

  • General health advice, such as smoking, diet, on-going illness or health concerns
  • Contraception advice and pregnancy risk assessments
  • Advice on how to register with a GP or a dentist and how to claim costs
  • Provide non-prescription analgesics
  • Treat cuts, burns, scalds and any other minor injuries
  • Information on immunisations
  • Advice with completing the HC1 form (which could entitle you to reduced costs on NHS prescription charges or dental treatment if you are eligible) 

The service, like all the others provided by Student Services, is free and confidential. There is no need to book an appointment with the Nurse. A drop-in service is offered in Room 730, situated behind the Student Services Reception, 7th Floor, Summer Row.

The standard opening times of the Nursing Service are as follows:

8am – 4pm Monday to Thursday

8am – 3pm Friday 

Alternatively, you can contact the Nurse via:

Phone: 0121 604 1000 (ext.2296), Email:

Mental Health and Wellbeing

Our Mental Health & Wellbeing Service is committed to helping you access the most appropriate support and information. As such, all first appointments relating to mental health and wellbeing take the form of an initial assessment with a member of the team. 

The purpose of this appointment is to provide you with an opportunity to discuss your main concerns and to explore your needs in a confidential and supportive environment. It will give you the opportunity to discuss what service and/or support is appropriate following the assessment.

The Mental Health & Wellbeing Adviser provides support, advice and guidance to prospective and current students of UCB. 

If you are experiencing a mental health difficulty, emotional or psychological distress, our Adviser can help you to identify your specific needs, provide practical support, and help you develop coping strategies. 

During the period of support, the Adviser may also work alongside the Curriculum Team for Academic and Pastoral Support, and can assist you in accessing external mental health and wellbeing services.


Counselling is a talking therapy which provides the opportunity and space for you to talk about anything that is affecting you, whether it is linked to your studies or a personal issue. 

Counselling is about you being accepted, valued, and listened to, rather than being judged or criticised. It is not about being given advice or being told what to do. Counsellors are trained to help you gain a better understanding of your thoughts and feelings, enabling you to make changes.


What is mentoring?

Mentoring is when someone with more knowledge in an area helps a less experienced person. It is a learning partnership.

Mentoring is about helping people to make their own informed decisions and it has big benefits for both parties. At University College Birmingham, mentors don’t teach or tell learners what to do. Trust is essential – and the partnership can be great fun, too.

UCB is involved in a number of different mentoring initiatives including one specifically for college students on our further education courses.

For further information on how you can take part, please visit the Mentoring section of the UCB website.