About Greater Birmingham & Solihull IoT
The government is establishing a number of high-quality institutes of technology (IoTs) across the country. The Greater Birmingham & Solihull IoT was successful in its application through a government-led competition. The Greater Birmingham & Solihull IoT specialises in Engineering and Manufacturing with particular focus on higher technical education at Level 4 and 5, with emphasis on STEM (science, technology engineering and maths) content.
It is also able to provide high quality access to learning for young people taking T-levels or A-levels who want to progress to higher technical education, adult learners who want access to further skills training and employers who want to develop new skills within their workforce.
Make an enquriy
To make an enquiry, please fill out our online form.
Why is it needed?
The IoT is needed to respond to the range of current and future challenges within the advanced manufacturing and engineering sector in order to retrain, upskill and inject new talent with the latest skills and knowledge to meet employers' needs. It will actively drive new collaborations and partnerships, increase research opportunities and support knowledge transfer potential, enabling greater opportunities for individuals from all backgrounds in the sector.
The Greater Birmingham & Solihull IoT is a region-wide collaboration between the following partners and stakeholders:
Further education colleges
- Solihull College & University Centre (SCUC) (Lead)
- South & City College Birmingham (SCCB) (Anchor)
- Birmingham Metropolitan College (BMet)
Higher education institutions
- Aston University (Anchor)
- Birmingham City University (BCU) (Anchor)
- University of Birmingham (UoB)
- University College Birmingham (UCB)
- Bosch Thermotechnology Ltd (Chair of Board)
- Salts Healthcare Ltd (Board member)
- Continental Engineering Services
- Greater Birmingham and Solihull Local Enterprise Partnership
- Birmingham City Council
- Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council
- Greater Birmingham Chambers of Commerce
- Aim Higher West Midlands