UCB chef apprentices triumph at Hotelympia competitions - what a way to mark National Apprentice Week!
Read time: approx 3 mins
Every UCB chef apprentice competing at the biggest foodservice and hospitality show in the UK has come home with either a gold or silver medal – what a way to celebrate National Apprenticeship Week!
All 10 students on UCB’s prestigious Royal Academy of Culinary Arts (RACA) Apprenticeship scheme who were entered into a challenge on the tough competition stage at this year’s Hotelympia were triumphant, winning three golds and seven silvers.
As well as coinciding with National Apprenticeship Week, the news is bolstered by the fact that it is the very first time UCB’s RACA students have ever competed at Hotelympia, which holds over 100 competitions as part of the show’s International Salon Culinaire.
Chef lecturer and mentor Anthony Wright said he was so immensely proud of the apprentices, who all undertake their on-the-job training at a Michelin-starred or other prestigious restaurant in the region as part of RACA’s discerning apprenticeship criteria.
“These students, who are mainly aged between 16 and 19 and in the second year of their apprenticeships, were unbelievable, especially when you consider how terrifying it is to compete on Hotelympia’s competition stage at such a young age,” he said. “We even entered one of our promising first year apprentices, who came home with a silver.”
“So much work went into preparing them for their competitive debuts and I’d like to thank every lecturer who gave up their own time to play their part.
“Fantastically, and testament to how brilliant apprenticeships can be, students’ employers in and around Birmingham also helped to get them ready, from Simpsons and Purnell’s to Carters of Moseley and the Belfry. Amazing job.”
UCB Royal Academy of Culinary Arts Apprenticeship Hotelympia winners:
- Romy Jones – Skills Theatre – Best End of Lamb (30 mins) - Gold
- Adam Beaumont – Skills Theatre – Butcher Whole Chicken for Saute (30 mins) - Gold
- Ben Carlton Gray – Skills Theatre - Lemon Sole Filleting (30 mins) – Silver
- Katie Cooper – Skills Theatre – Sea Bass/Trout Preparation – (30 mins) – Gold
- Dahnish Iqbal – Student S2 Canape Challenge – Silver
- Charlotte Livesey – Student S2 Canape Challenge – Silver
- Drew Morris – Student S2 Canape Challenge – Silver
- Benjamin Webster – Student S2 Canape Challenge – Silver
- Patrick White - Student S2 Canape Challenge – Silver
- Tom Rix – Student S2 Canape Challenge – Silver
This year’s Hotelympia, which brings thousands of businesses and buyers to market and champions one of the UK's most vibrant industries, takes place from 5-8 March at London’s ExCel.
National Apprenticeship Week, which is coordinated by the National Apprenticeship Service and celebrates apprenticeships and the positive impact they have on individuals, businesses and the wider economy, takes place nationwide from 5-9 March.
Find out more about our Royal Academy of Culinary Arts Apprenticeship Level 2 and 3.