June 2021

2021 at University College Birmingham

Updates and FAQs on coronavirus (Covid-19), our safety policies and information on study and support services

Read time: approx 25 mins

We know these are extraordinary times right now. Here at University College Birmingham, we are dedicated to ensuring that nothing can stop you from achieving your ambitions and fulfilling your future.

Over the last year, we have worked very hard to adapt our campuses and our teaching and support services in order to secure your health and safety while making sure you have the best possible experience studying with us.

University College Birmingham continues to closely monitor the latest advice and guidance from the UK government and relevant authorities, including Public Health England (PHE), the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) and the World Health Organisation (WHO). This page is being regularly updated and contains a range of information and frequently asked questions concerning our current policies and what you can expect studying with us this year, helping to ensure everyone stays as informed and as safe as possible.

Page last updated: Friday 25 June

General information on coronavirus (Covid-19)

Covid-19 is an illness which can affect your lungs and airways. The main symptoms of coronavirus are:

  • A high temperature – this means you feel hot to touch on your chest or back
  • A new, continuous cough – this means coughing a lot for more than an hour, or three or more coughing episodes within 24 hours (if you normally have a cough, it may be worse than usual)
  • A loss or change to your sense of smell or taste – this means you’ve noticed you can’t smell or taste anything, or things smell or taste different from normal

If you have any symptoms of coronavirus, you must not come onto campus. You should stay at home and contact us by email at covid19@ucb.ac.uk as soon as possible. You should also follow the latest NHS guidance on what to do next, including self-isolation and obtaining a test.

Frequently asked questions:

If I have a cough but otherwise feel OK, do I have to self-isolate?

Yes. If your symptoms fit the description of coronavirus, you must self-isolate for 10 days from your first symptoms. You can check your symptoms on the NHS website.

You should also book a test called a PCR test (details are available here). If the test comes back negative, you can then come back to campus. If you test positive, you must complete the self-isolation period.

You should also let us know if you have symptoms by sending an email to covid19@ucb.ac.uk

If I receive a positive Covid test but don’t have any symptoms, do I have to self-isolate?

Yes. If you test positive for Covid but are not experiencing any symptoms, you must still self-isolate for 10 days from when you took the test.

If you subsequently develop symptoms while you are self-isolating, you must then restart your 10 days of self-isolation from the day your symptoms started.

If someone I live with has symptoms or has tested positive, do I have to self-isolate?

Yes, for 10 days from when the person you live with first developed symptoms, or from when they tested positive.

The person you live with should self-isolate for 10 days, and if they have not yet been tested, they should book a test. If their test result is negative, you can both stop self-isolation. If their result is positive, you both must continue to self-isolate until the end of the 10 day period.

If someone I have been in close contact with has symptoms, do I need to self-isolate?

Only if you share a household or support bubble with the person displaying symptoms. If someone has symptoms but you don’t share a household or support bubble with them, you don’t normally need to self-isolate, but you will need to if the person then tests positive.

If someone I have been in close contact with tests positive, do I need to self-isolate?

Yes, but the rules on what counts as ‘close contact’ can be complicated, so please contact us on covid19@ucb.ac.uk for specific advice.

If NHS Test and Trace has contacted you and told you to self-isolate, you must follow that advice. University College Birmingham will tell you if we believe you have been in close contact with someone who has tested positive on our site.

I had symptoms and started self-isolating but now I feel OK again – can I come back to campus?

No. You must complete the self-isolation period unless you have tested negative.

If I have been told to self-isolate because I have been in contact with someone who tested positive, can I be tested?

Probably not, unless you develop symptoms. NHS tests (PCR) are only supposed to be given to people who are symptomatic.

In any case, even if you have tested negative, you will still have to complete the self-isolation period, as symptoms can develop later and wouldn’t always be picked up by the test.

How is University College Birmingham currently affected by restrictions due to the pandemic?

England was placed under a national ‘Stay at Home’ lockdown at the beginning of 2021 in order to control the spread of Covid-19. However, since March, national restrictions in England have been undergoing a process of easing in stages – most recently moving to ‘Step 3’ on 17 May. A further easing of restrictions (‘Step 4’) is currently anticipated no sooner than 19 July, pending further announcements from the government.

As required under the national restrictions, University College Birmingham offered a combination of online and face-to-face teaching throughout most of the 2020/21 academic year. We have since been making plans and preparations for when teaching resumes after the summer, including contingencies should any restrictions remain in place. To find out more about our plans, please visit our page on Teaching in the 2021/22 academic year.

Our library and IT facilities have been available throughout the period national restrictions have been in place, and they will remain open for use by College and University students during the summer (see more information under Coming to campus below).

Restrictions in place in England since 17 May allow up to 6 people (or a group of any size from a maximum of 2 households) to meet indoors, and up to 30 people outdoors unless the gathering is legally exempt. Where possible you should still remain at least two metres apart from anyone who is not in your household or support bubble as a precaution.

For full information about the restrictions, please visit the GOV.UK website. For specific details about how this affects our students at University College Birmingham – including guidance for students in accommodation and how campus facilities are affected by the restrictions – please see the relevant sections further down this page.

What if I am classed as ‘Extremely Clinically Vulnerable’?

If you are considered Extremely Clinically Vulnerable (i.e. you received a letter telling you to shield during a previous lockdown) and you have been attending classes on campus, please let us know by contacting covid19@ucb.ac.uk.

Individuals classed as Extremely Clinically Vulnerable are no longer required to shield. However, you should continue to take precautions to protect yourself.

Am I eligible to receive a Covid-19 vaccination?

Students in higher education (aged 18 or over) are now being offered the Covid-19 vaccination for free as part of the UK’s national rollout programme. This includes international students, regardless of nationality or immigration status.

Full details about Covid-19 vaccinations for higher education students can be found on the NHS website here.

Where and how can I get my Covid-19 vaccination?

The vaccine is being offered at local sites run by GPs or community pharmacies, at larger vaccination centres and in some hospitals. Local areas may also work with partners to set up temporary ‘pop-up’ clinics at locations convenient for student access.

For more information about how to book your vaccine and other frequently asked questions, please see details on Covid-19 vaccination for students in higher education on the NHS website.

Coming to campus

Health and safety is our top priority for everyone attending or visiting University College Birmingham, so we have implemented a range of safety measures and guidelines for whenever you come to our campus buildings.

We have many staff and students who are at particularly high risk from coronavirus, so even if you don't feel particularly vulnerable yourself, we need you to act responsibly to protect our whole community.

If you are showing any symptoms or are self-isolating, you must stay at home, book a Covid-19 test and contact the University to inform us of your situation (see General information on coronavirus above).

Further information about attending campus over the summer is available on our dedicated ‘Coming to Campus’ pages.

Frequently asked questions:

How do the current national restrictions affect me coming to campus?

University College Birmingham has continued to operate throughout the period restrictions have been in effect this year. Many facilities on campus have now reopened, although some are now closed for the summer break as usual – see more detailed information below.

Students on all further and higher education courses are able to come onto campus as of 17 May. You can also come onto campus for teaching or exams if your lecturers have confirmed that you should attend in person.

If you use public transport, you may need to plan additional time for your journey should transport become ‘at capacity’ with social distancing measures in place. Please remember to wear a mask (unless exempt) on all public transport.

What safety measures are in place on campus?

We have implemented a range of measures to help maintain social distancing across the University for those who need to attend campus. You should adhere to two-metre social distance wherever possible.

A number of one-way systems are in place at our campus buildings, with floor plans and signage indicating which directions to follow as well as designated entry and exit points – please ensure you follow these systems at all times and use the correct entrances.

Teaching and IT areas have been arranged to allow for the necessary social distancing. All lifts across campus have also been marked indicating the maximum capacity – as space within the lifts is limited, please only use a lift if you can’t use the stairs, to ensure that the lift is available for people who really need it.

Visit this page for examples of what to expect when you come onto campus.

Is hand sanitiser provided?

Yes – we have provided hand sanitiser stations throughout our campus sites.

You should wash your hands regularly, especially when entering any building. You can use the hand sanitiser provided or use soap and water for at least 20 seconds.

Do I need to wear a mask/face covering on campus?

You will need to wear a mask/face covering whenever you are indoors on campus, unless you are eating or have been asked to remove it for a particular part of a class, or if you are exempt from wearing a mask.

Please note that masks are not a replacement for social distancing, so remember to also keep your distance around other people.

What if I am exempt from wearing a mask?

You don't need to wear a mask if you are exempt for health reasons. We will supply you with a card to wear on your lanyard indicating your exempt status.

To apply for an exemption card, please speak to your tutor or year manager and we can arrange one for you.

Do I need to get tested to come onto campus?

If you need to come onto campus during the summer, you are strongly advised to undergo Covid testing before you attend.

For full information about testing requirements, please see the following pages:

Covid-19 testing: Higher education (undergraduate and postgraduate students)

Covid-19 testing: Further education (college students)

I have received a coronavirus vaccine – do these requirements still apply to me?

Yes. Even if you have received one or two doses of a coronavirus vaccine, you will still be required to follow all the requirements and guidance concerning face coverings, social distancing, Covid testing, hand washing etc.

What happens if there are cases on campus?

We have a contact tracing system in place. If you have likely come into contact with someone at University College Birmingham who has tested positive for coronavirus, we will let you know if you need to self-isolate. We will be following guidance from the government and Public Health Birmingham on when to ask groups to self-isolate.

To help us, it is important that you keep your contact details on the Portal up to date so that we can contact you if needed.

Are the library and IT facilities open?

The library at The Link will be available from 9am to 5pm on Monday to Friday throughout the summer. It is also possible to borrow library books using the click and collect service.

Camden House is also available if you need to use the computers. There will be IT staff on site if you are having any technical problems. Alternatively, you can see phone and online contact details for IT support here.

For more information, please see the Other support services section below.

Are the campus gym facilities open?

Our gym at Moss House is open Monday to Friday from midday to 6pm. The gym is currently open to members only, and you will be required to book a workout slot in advance. For more information on attending the gym or how to sign up for membership, please see our Gym Facilities page.

The gym at The Maltings will be closed over the summer.

Are the sports injury clinics open?

Our sports injury clinics will be closed during the summer break.

Is The Spa open?

The Spa will be closed during the summer break.

Is Aspire Aesthetics open?

The Aspire Aesthetics clinic at Summer Row will be closed during the summer break.

Is Restaurant at Birmingham College of Food open?

Restaurant at Birmingham College of Food will be closed during the summer break.

Is Cakes and Bakes open?

From Wednesday 23 June, Cakes and Bakes will be open from 11:30am to 2:30pm. The shop will then be closed for the summer break from 2:30pm on Wednesday 30 June until the beginning of September.

Are campus cafes open?

Our campus cafes will be closed during the summer break.

Where can I find more information?

You can view copies of our Health and Safety Guidance and our Health and Safety Risk Assessments here.

Tuition and online learning

Due to the circumstances surrounding coronavirus, we were required to implement changes to how our courses were delivered throughout the 2020/21 academic year. As of 17 May, all higher education students have been able to return to campus to resume their blended learning timetable in line with the semester two teaching plans.

Details about our plans for how courses will be delivered in the next academic year from September can be found on this page.

Frequently asked questions:

Where can I find information about accessing online tuition and resources?

You can access online tuition and resources through your Canvas page. If you are struggling to access Canvas, please contact your tutor or the DICE team (email dice@ucb.ac.uk or call 0121 232 4237).

If you need help with using IT equipment, we have specially trained mentors who can help you. You can access them by contacting studentengagement@ucb.ac.uk.

What should I do if I don’t have access to IT equipment or the internet?

The library at The Link is available for students who do not have IT equipment or space to study at home, while the computers at Camden House are also available. (See more information under Other support services below.)

If you cannot come to campus and do not have access to IT equipment, please contact Student Services and we may be able to help you (email s.services@ucb.ac.uk or call 0121 232 4069).


Our city centre accommodation at The Maltings remains open as normal for students at University College Birmingham. Details about our accommodation policy for 2020/21 contracts can be found here.

If you require any further information, please contact maltings@ucb.ac.uk.

Frequently asked questions:

Are University College Birmingham’s halls of residence open?

Our halls of accommodation at The Maltings remain open, and our Accommodation team can help if you have any questions.

If you need support while you are living in Birmingham – whether at The Maltings or in a private residence – please let us know and we will do our best to help.

Other support services

Our library facilities at The Link are open, while the IT facilities at Camden House are also available.

We have a number of safety measures in place, including one-way systems, regular cleaning patrols and two-metre social distancing within study spaces, as well as hand sanitiser and wipes. Gloves are also available within the library should you wish to browse the shelves, but if you know which items you need in advance, we would encourage you to use our online click and collect system.

One-to-one appointments are available with the Academic Skills Centre (ASC) and subject librarians, either online or by phone. Student services staff are available online, including staff who can support you with your mental health and wellbeing, and trained counsellors.

Our other support services remain available to assist you in a variety of areas, while the Guild of Students continues to provide support for all students at University College Birmingham. Please see the FAQs below for more details.

Frequently asked questions:

Where can I find a study space or PC?

The library at The Link (4th, 5th and 6th floors) is open for all students for quiet, individual study only.

Camden House contains a resource centre with PCs and laptop spaces, as well as access to ITSU technicians for any IT-related queries.

Please use the hand sanitiser and wipes provided before and after using any study spaces and equipment.

How do I use the library click and collect system?

If you don’t wish to use The Link library as a study space and simply want to check books out, we recommend you use our click and collect service.

A member of staff will collect the books from the shelves for you. You will then receive an email to inform you when your order is ready and where to collect the books from.

How do I return books?

Books can currently be returned to the library at The Link using the self-service kiosks on the 4th floor. If you only wish to return books and don’t need to visit the library, there is also a returns point in the reception area on the Ground Floor at The Link.

How do I make an appointment with my subject librarian/CASE/ASC?

The library and CASE/ASC are delivering one-to-one sessions for students via remote appointments. These must be booked in advance.

To book an appointment with a subject librarian, or if you are a higher education student and wish to book an appointment with the ASC, please click here.

For further education students who wish to book an appointment with the ASC at Richmond House, please email rhasc@ucb.ac.uk or call 0121 232 4369.

Please note that availability of appointments may be limited over the summer break.

How do I access health and wellbeing support?

We know that this is a challenging time for lots of people. If you need support, we offer a range of services to help you.

Please be aware that the University’s Health and Wellbeing service (counsellors and mental health adviser) will be closed over the summer break from 2 July and reopen from 13 September.

All students can access the Canvas course ‘Wellbeing’ for self-help information and links to external services such as helplines, websites and workshops. Alternatively, you can access our Student Assistance Programme.


Student Assistance Programme (SAP)

The Student Assistance Programme (SAP) is a free and confidential* service for our higher education students, designed to help you deal with personal or academic problems that could be affecting your home life, health or general wellbeing.

The SAP provides a complete support network with unlimited access to a 24/7 confidential counselling helpline that offers expert advice and compassionate guidance covering a wide range of issues. This includes the option of structured counselling sessions from trained counsellors over the phone. To speak to a BACP-accredited counsellor for free at any time of day or night, just call 0800 028 3766.

*The service is confidential in almost all circumstances, but very occasionally Health Assured may need to share information about you if they judge that your health, wellbeing or welfare is at imminent risk. More information is available here.


My Healthy Advantage Mobile App

Sometimes it can be difficult to balance the pressures of university with the demands of home life, and when things feel overwhelming, you may need help and support to deal with the practical and emotional challenges you may be facing.

This free Health Assured app offers access to health and wellbeing support at the tap of a finger anywhere and anytime. Support services include:

  • Weekly mood tracker
  • Support videos and webinars
  • Four-week programmes
  • Home life support and advice
  • Physical and emotional health
  • Mini health checks
  • Wellbeing videos and webinars
  • Medical information

The My Healthy Advantage app is available to download and register on iOS (via the App Store) and Android (via Google Play). To register and gain access, you will require the following MHA ID Code: MHA145988


Other services

For help outside of University College Birmingham, you can call the mental health support line offered by Birmingham and Solihull NHS Trust. The helpline is available on 0121 262 3555 and is open 7 days a week, from 9am to 11pm.

Further support is also available through Student Minds, the UK’s student mental health charity.

What if I am having other difficulties while studying?

Our Student Engagement Team is available to provide a variety of support, including advice and guidance, mentoring or directing you to our other support teams.

If you are seeking general advice, you can send an email to studentengagement@ucb.ac.uk. For more complex issues, you can book an appointment with our engagement team – this will initially consist of a phone call, followed by a meeting online depending on the circumstances.

We encourage all students to join our UCB Community page on Canvas, where you can book your appointment with one of our engagement officers, as well as finding more information about our support teams.

Please note that availability of appointments may be limited over the summer break.

What support is available from the Guild of Students?

As always, the Guild is here to support your academic interests, and we can accommodate safe meetings on campus as well as digital meetings to support, signpost or listen. 

You can use the Live Chat on the Guild website, send a message via the Guild’s social media channels or email guildinfo@ucb.ac.uk

How do I contact other support services (e.g. Finance, International)?

Our support services are always available to provide you with help and assistance wherever needed. In the first instance, please send an email to the relevant team, then staff will pick this up and respond during the working day.

Financeucbstudentfinance@ucb.ac.uk, or call 0121 232 4411


IT supportITSU@ucb.ac.uk


Admissions: admissions@ucb.ac.uk

Applying to University College Birmingham

Prospective students can apply as normal for courses starting at University College Birmingham in September 2021 or February 2022. For more information, visit our How to Apply page.

Frequently asked questions:

Can I attend an open day?

As we are currently unable to hold events on campus, we are offering a number of online open days, packed with everything from insight on your course of interest or 3D tours of our cutting-edge facilities to Q&As with lecturers and the chance to talk to our support services.

To find out more about our upcoming open days and to register your interest, visit our Open Days page.

Can I visit the campus?

On-site campus tours at University College Birmingham are currently available on a limited basis. Please note we may need to make changes at short notice in accordance with the latest government guidance.

For more information and upcoming dates, please refer to our Campus Tours page.

I am an international applicant – will I be able to take an English test with the University?

English tests are currently available online. We will also be offering in-person tests on campus from July – our Admissions team will contact you directly to organise this with you and select the most appropriate option.

Back to top