Support Available - University Students

This section gives examples of the kinds of support that students with differing needs may be provided with whilst at UCB.  We will help put specifically tailored support in place for you following a discussion with you about your individual requirements.

UCB Support Packages may include:

  • Exam concession
  • Note takers
  • Specialist support
  • Proof reading
  • Practical class assistance
  • Digital recorder
  • Coloured overlay
  • Extended library loan
  • 1 hour a week of one-to-one support with the academic skills team
  • Out of class support

First steps

Tell us about your disability

It is helpful if you tell us about your disability on your application form, if you have already applied and have not disclosed a disability please contact Admissions:

Disclosing a disability is a positive step. In line with current legislation we use the term “disability” to include specific learning difficulties like dyslexia, mental health difficulties, autism, Asperger’s syndrome and other ongoing health conditions.

There are many opportunities for you to disclose, both before admission and any time whilst you are studying at UCB. We suggest you tell your tutor in the first instance or you can talk to a Disability Advisor at the Academic Skills Centre. To make an appointment simply call in or email and ask one of our Disability Advisors to contact you.

When you disclose a disability we want to ensure that appropriate support can be put in place for you. To do this we may need to tell other staff at UCB so we need your consent and also your contact details. To provide these, please complete the form below:

If you choose not to disclose your disability

You should be aware that if you choose not to disclose your disability or limit that disclosure, while we will do our best to help you, you may not be able to access the full range of support available. 

Confidentiality and Data Protection

Details of your disability will be kept confidential except where you have given written consent to disclosure. This consent will remain in force while you are a registered student unless you notify UCB otherwise. 

All information regarding your disability will be stored electronically and/or as paper records and will be processed in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998. This information will be retained by UCB after your registration has ceased in accordance with UCB’s record management procedures and then destroyed in a secure manner.

Setting up my support

How do I set up my support?

If you attend an Open Day you will have the opportunity to meet with a member of our Academic Skills Centre who will provide you with all the necessary information and answer any specific questions.  Due to the vocational nature and professional focus of our courses, we will provide you with an honest assessment of how suitable a particular course might be for you, including how easily you would be able to cope with the University’s buildings and details of specialised facilities. Our website now has a clear description of our premises which was carried out by an independent agency – DisabledGo.  

To enable you to access a support package as soon as you begin your studies you need to apply for Disabled Student Allowance (DSA)

As a higher education student living in England, you can apply for a Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) if you have a disability, including a:

  • long-term health condition
  • mental health condition
  • specific learning difficulty, eg dyslexia

You must meet the definition of disability under the Equality Act 2010.

The support you get depends on your individual needs and not on income.

Providing evidence of your disability

In order to access DSA you will need to provide written evidence of your disability.

If you have a specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia, dyspraxia or ADHD you should provide a copy of a diagnostic assessment report completed after the age of 16 by an Educational Psychologist, or by a specialist teacher who has “Approved Teacher Status” awarded by the British Dyslexia Association or the Professional Association of Teachers of Students with Specific Learning Difficulties (PATOSS).

Evidence for ADHD should be one of the following:

  • A letter from a medical practitioner confirming the diagnosis and stating how this has a substantial and long-term effect on your ability to carry out day-to –day activities.
  • An educational psychologist’s report that diagnoses another specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia or dyspraxia as well as providing a diagnosis of ADHD. An educational psychologist’s report that diagnoses ADHD without another specific learning difficulty will not be sufficient.

If you have any other disability you should provide a medical letter or report from a medical consultant or doctor. The letter should confirm:

  • The nature of your condition or impairment (including the name of any diagnosis you have)
  • The length of time you have had it and any medical treatment or support you receive for it.
  • How the condition or impairment has a substantial and long-term effect on your ability to carry out day-to- day activities.

Support before you start your course

  • Orientation support aimed at helping students to get used to the UCB environment and finding their way around it, induction sessions and taster days.
  • Mobility training for blind or partially-sighted people.

Support with accessing taught sessions may include

  • Copies of lecture notes and handouts in an alternative format by arrangement with your curriculum staff.
  • DSA funded support workers (such as note takers or sign language interpreters) to ensure that students have an accurate record of what is covered in lectures.
  • The loan of digital recorders to record lectures.
  • Non-Medical Help assistance in practical sessions (via DSA)

Placements and field trips

  • Ensuring that departments take into account student’s specific support requirements when allocating placements and arranging field trips.

Support with managing your workload

  • 1:1 support aimed at developing student’s academic and study skills. This support is provided by the Academic Skills Centre
  • 1:1 mentor support sessions for students with autistic spectrum conditions
  • The provision of specialist equipment and software to enable independent learning.
  • Arranging alternative methods of assessment for students to ensure equitable access based on specific student needs.

Support with exams

  • Extra time.
  • Use of a computer and assistive software.
  • Rest or nutrition breaks.
  • Permission to use specialist ergonomic equipment.
  • Permission for students to sit their exams in a venue with fewer other candidates, or on their own.
  • Exam papers in alternative formats (e.g. Braille or large print)
  • Modification of the language used in exam questions (generally for students who are deaf or hard of hearing or for those with an autism spectrum condition such as Asperger syndrome)

Disability living and personal support

If, due to your disability, you have specific accommodation requirements and/or will require assistance with day to day living tasks such as washing, personal care, shopping or cooking please refer to our Specialised Accommodation page on how to apply for UCB Halls of residence accommodation and personal care for disabled students.

For personal care you will need to contact your local authority social services.