Birmingham is a hot-bed of cultural attractions, from stunning works of art and vibrant dance to concert venues and Europe’s most spectacular library.
Top 5 culture facts
- The stunning £187 million Library of Birmingham, two minutes’ walk from UCB, is the largest public library in Europe
- The Hippodrome Theatre, home to the world-famous Birmingham Royal Ballet, is the busiest in Britain
- Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery holds the world’s largest collection of Pre-Raphaelite art including works by John Everett Millais, Dante Gabriel Rossetti and Edward Burne-Jones
- The city has two iconic concert halls, Symphony Hall and the Town Hall, welcoming more than 500,000 music fans each year. UCB is the Founding Principal Supporter of the SoundBite Scheme, which allows full-time students cheaper seats in the two venues and across the city.
- The UK’s oldest working cinema, The Electric Cinema, opened in 1909 in Station Street – and it’s still showing films