This course is offered as both a BA (Hons) and FdA. Students studying the FdA will have the option of progressing onto the final year of the BA (Hons) at the end of year 2.
From local charity fashion shows and music festivals to international business conferences, this course is for those seeking careers in the exciting field of marketing and events management.
UCB has designed this course with leading industry experts to give you the theoretical knowledge and practical skills needed to succeed in this challenging business environment.
You will undertake practical marketing activities as diverse as creative communication design and public relations, marketing research for local businesses, marketing plans, pitching ideas and innovations to events companies and marketing for a local charity.
Throughout the course there are opportunities to customise your studies through a range of specialist optional modules, gain valuable work experience in events and marketing, take part in an industry-based competition and gain an industry recognised marketing qualification from the Chartered Institute of Marketing.
Why should I choose this course?
- If you are thinking of working in a dynamic marketing role, managing exhibitions or festivals, then this course will provide you with the knowledge and experience necessary to succeed.
- You will learn all the main functions of business with regards to managing events and apply them to the industry through live consultancy projects. This will enable you to develop the business ready skills sought after by employers.
- You will be learning from experienced lecturers and industry professionals through a mix of lectures, seminars, workshops, ‘real world’ simulations and guest lectures.
- You will learn how to evaluate the success of marketing and events activities through a range of innovative assessments, including e-debates, academic posters, action plans, digital diaries and hosting a ‘live’ event from planning and procedures to operation and management.
- You will work with real clients, helping to organise events in order develop your industry experience.
Our open days are designed to give you as much information as possible about UCB and the areas you are interested in studying. Come along and we may make you an offer on the day.
Teaching and assessment
Teaching is carried out by appropriately qualified and experienced lecturers one day per week and in a typical week you will have up to 13 contact hours of teaching made up as follows:
- Large group teaching - 5 hours of lectures in lecture rooms
- Smaller group teaching - 6 hours of teaching in smaller groups discussing topics relevant to the modules. This will also include computer-based activities.
- Tutorials - 2 hours of tutorials (involving personal, group and academic sessions each week)
You will need to apportion approximately 20 hours per week of your own study time in preparation for lectures and preparing for and completing assessments. UCB Online provides 24 hour access to learning and support material.
Assessment is designed to provide you an opportunity to demonstrate your strengths in a number of ways and a variety of assessment methods are used. There is a strong focus on the vocational nature of this course including live project work and industry-based assignments.
An estimated breakdown of the assessment for this course is as follows:
- Coursework - 68%
- Practical assessment - 24%
- Written examinations - 8%
Course work could include: building professional portfolios; conducting situation and marketing analyses; and generating management reports and audits. Practical assessment could include: presentations (individual and group) and using creativity and problem-solving skills to generate business solutions. Some modules also have assessments linked to study trips abroad.
Please note that the information provided above is indicative only and actual timetables and assessment regimes will be issued to students at induction.
Our teaching and assessment is underpinned by our Teaching, Learning and Assessment Strategy 2015-2020.
Marketing with Events Management BA (Hons)
Tariff for February 2017 entry: A minimum of 240 UCAS Tariff points.
Tariff for September 2017 entry: A minimum of 96 UCAS Tariff points from at least two A Levels or equivalent BTEC qualifications. Find out more about the changes to the UCAS Tariff.
Marketing with Events Management FdA
Tariff for February 2017 entry: A minimum of 140 UCAS Tariff points.
Tariff for September 2017 entry: A minimum of 56 UCAS Tariff points from at least one A Level or equivalent BTEC qualifications. Find out more about the changes to the UCAS Tariff.
Non-tariff: Non UCAS Tariff based Level 3 qualifications are also considered for entry
Work-based: We also give equal consideration to applicants who are currently in work and wish to apply to UCB. To apply, you must have a minimum of 3 years’ relevant work experience, demonstrating management or supervisory duties. Your application must also include a reference from your line manager supporting your entry to higher education. For further details please contact Admissions.
Find out more information on Tariff entry requirements for February 2017 entry and September 2017 entry.
For entry requirements for EU and international students, please visit the Country Specific Information page.
UCAS Tariff calculator
For February 2017 entry, please use our UCAS Tariff calculator here.
You can use our calculator below to convert your predicted/achieved grades into UCAS Tariff points.
If your total predicted/achieved points do not meet those outlined above or your qualification(s) do not appear on the UCAS tariff please contact the admissions directly on 0121 604 1040 or email email@example.com.
Please wait a moment. Loading UCAS data...
Error loading UCAS data
We're very sorry but we had a problem connecting to UCAS to get our course data. We hope to bring this feature back online as soon as possible.
Please try again later.
FdA students will study modules for years 1 and 2. Upon successful completion FdA students will have the option of progressing onto the final year.
Optional Work Placement
After completing the first year of this course, you will be given the opportunity to take a 48 week optional placement. If you choose to do so, you will be supported by our highly-experienced hired@UCB staff members who organise presentations and meetings with employers to help you identify the kind of placement you want. Whether your ideal work environment is overseas or somewhere in the UK, there is an extensive choice available.
At UCB, we understand the importance of work placements within academic study, and our employer contacts say they give preference to students with qualifications who also have experience within the field.
If you did well on your placement, there are additional opportunities available – such as recommendation for industry-supported mentoring schemes to guide you through your future career.
Upon successful completion of this programme, graduates have secured jobs in the public, private and voluntary sectors in event organisers, salespeople, market researchers and PR and promotional positions.
Graduating with this degree will enable you to pursue a career path in:
- Conference and venue management
- Exhibition centre management
- Events management companies
- Marketing positions within major companies
hired@UCB is our new student and alumni support service designed to provide a single reference point for information, advice and guidance regarding opportunities to develop and demonstrate employability and enterprise skills.
Based on the 7th floor of our Summer Row campus, in newly refurbished facilities, the hired team comprises of specialist and qualified staff with knowledge and experience of:
- Careers advice and guidance
- Placements, work experience and volunteering
- Employer engagement
- Part-time and seasonal work
- Internships, apprenticeships and traineeships
- Graduate schemes and alumni support
- Unitemps – UCB's recruitment agency
Find out more about hired@UCB services.
Read what our current students and alumni love about UCB and how we helped them begin their career in industry.
Marketing with Events Management
Marketing with Events Management