Sport is big business. More people than ever understand the link between an active lifestyle and good health and are prepared to spend their income and leisure time on sport-related activities.
Sports Management is an exciting sector with a wide variety of employment opportunities in leisure centre and facility management, sports event, sports development, national governing bodies, sports coaching, sports marketing, PE teaching and health and fitness management.
This top-up course will give you the management and practical skills you need to make the most of business opportunities in sport, at home and abroad. You will also develop the analytical, communication and decision-making skills vital for success in sports organisations.
Why should I choose this course?
- By taking this top-up, you can continue to develop your academic and practical skills in preparation for a successful career within the industry.
- You will study the operational and strategic issues in sport, specifically relating to operating within an international environment.
- You will get the chance to work on your own research project, which creates an opportunity to critically analyse a particular area or field of sports management that interests you.
- You will have the opportunity to gain work experience throughout your course in order to optimise your industry engagement.
- You automatically become a student member of the Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity (CIMSPA).
Teaching & assessment
Teaching is carried out by appropriately qualified and experienced lecturers and a typical teaching week will have up to 12 contact hours made up as follows:
- Large group teaching: 6 hours of lectures in lecture rooms
- Smaller group teaching: 3 hours of teaching in smaller groups
- Tutorials: 3 hours being a mixture of personal, group and academic tutorials per week
- Residential visits: UCB funded residential visits provide a wider appreciation of national and international sporting environments
- Work experience: You are encouraged to undertake work experience throughout your course and there is also an option to compete a 48-week placement after year 2.
In addition you are expected to commit to approximately 20 hours a week of your own study time in preparation for teaching sessions and preparing for and completing assessment. UCB Online provides a 24 hour access to learning and support material.
Assessment is designed to provide you an opportunity to demonstrate your strengths in a number of ways and so a variety of assessment methods are used.
An estimated breakdown of the assessment for this course is as follows:
- Coursework - 58%
- Practical assessment - 33%
- Written examinations - 9%
Please note that the information provided above is indicative only and actual timetables and assessment regimes will be issued to students at induction.
Our teaching and assessment is underpinned by our Teaching, Learning and Assessment Strategy 2015-2020.
Applicants must have a relevant HND with a Merit profile or a foundation degree with 240 credits.
If you have any queries, please email: email@example.com
You are encouraged to gain work experience throughout this course because it is a great opportunity to put what you have learned into practice alongside qualified professionals. Over the years we have developed close working relationships within the industry so that we can offer you a wide range of placement opportunities alongside your studies.
Our hired@UCB team will make sure that you are well-matched for your placement and support your progress throughout your work experience.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to move into a wide variety of areas within the sports management sector. Graduates have also gone on to work in sports tourism and marketing, on community sports programmes and in health promotion.
Graduating with this degree will enable you to pursue a career in:
- Sports development
- Sports centre management
- Corporate sports hospitality
- Sports coaching
- Sports event management
hired@UCB is our new student and alumni support service designed to provide a single reference point for information, advice and guidance regarding opportunities to develop and demonstrate employability and enterprise skills.
Based on the 7th floor of our Summer Row campus, in newly refurbished facilities, the hired team comprises specialist staff with knowledge and experience of:
- Careers advice and guidance
- Placements, work experience and volunteering
- Employer engagement
- Part-time and seasonal work
- Internships, apprenticeships and traineeships
- Graduate schemes and alumni support
- Unitemps – UCB's recruitment agency
Find out more about hired@UCB services.
Read what our current students and alumni love about UCB and how we helped them begin their career in industry.