Graduates with broad experience and excellent skills are highly sought after in the sport and fitness industries. Whether you are interesting in coaching, fitness training, teaching, or a combination of areas, you will be well catered for in this course.
You will be offered guidance and opportunities to investigate the various facets of the sport and fitness industries, tailoring each area to suit your interests and career aims.
Sport and fitness encompasses professional, amateur and educational roles. Many areas of industry require similar base knowledge in fields such as nutrition, anatomy and physiology. By building your knowledge, you can ensure that you are well-placed to exploit opportunities in this dynamic employment market.
Why should I choose this course?
- You will get a strong knowledge of performance- based training and apply these skills in practical and relevant ways.
- You will gain industry experience and qualifications, such as personal training and coaching
- You can continue to hone your skills whilst studying with us in our sports performance lab, fitness gyms and other sports facilities.
- You will get the chance to work on your own research project, which creates an opportunity to critically analyse a particular area or field of exercise, health and wellness that interests you.
- You will have work experience opportunities throughout your course in order to optimise your industry engagement.
Our open days are designed to give you as much information as possible about UCB and the areas you are interested in studying. Come along and we may make you an offer on the day.
Kit / uniform
For practical activities, a uniform is required at a cost of approximately £55. This consists of one polo shirt and one track-pant. However, students may also choose to purchase additional items according to their requirements e.g. hoody, rain jacket, shorts etc.
As the owner of an elite strength and conditioning gym I will always look for something different in a coach that makes them stand out from the crowd. This will prove even more important in a fitness industry that is becoming more saturated year-on-year. The Sport and Fitness Studies degree course at UCB guides student learning through different areas of the fitness industry, allowing graduates to exploit opportunities in developing parts of a truly dynamic market. Sport and Fitness Studies graduates will stand out from the crowd.
Teaching & assessment
Teaching is carried out by appropriately qualified and experienced lecturers and a typical teaching week will have up to 12 contact hours made up as follows:
- Large group teaching: 6 hours of lectures in lecture rooms
- Smaller group teaching: 3 hours of teaching in smaller groups
- Tutorials: 3 hours being a mixture of personal, group and academic tutorials per week
- Field trips and visits: In the final year, UCB will fund a 2 day residential to St Georges Park at a cost of approximately £250 per student
In addition, you are expected to commit to approximately 20 hours a week of your own study time in preparation for teaching sessions and preparing for and completing assessment. UCB Online provides a 24 hour access to learning and support material.
Assessment is designed to provide you an opportunity to demonstrate your strengths in a number of ways and so a variety of assessment methods are used.
An estimated breakdown of the assessment for this course is as follows:
- Coursework - 55%
- Practical assessment - 35%
- Written examinations - 10%
Please note that the information provided above is indicative only and actual timetables and assessment regimes will be issued to students at induction.
Our teaching and assessment is underpinned by our Teaching, Learning and Assessment Strategy 2015-2020.
Applicants must have a relevant HND with a Merit profile or a foundation degree with 240 credits.
If you have any queries, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
You are encouraged to gain work experience throughout this course because it is a great opportunity to put what you have learned into practice alongside qualified professionals. Over the years we have developed close working relationships within the industry so that we can offer you a wide range of placement opportunities alongside your studies.
Our hired@UCB team will make sure that you are well-matched for your placement and support your progress throughout your work experience.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to move into a wide variety of areas within the exercise, health and wellness sector. Graduates have also gone on to work as health and fitness professionals, in health promotion or as fitness instructors or personal trainers.
Graduating with this degree will enable you to pursue a career in:
- Sports development
- Strength and conditioning
- Armed forces or uniformed services
- Teaching or lecturing (via a PGCE)
hired@UCB is our new student and alumni support service designed to provide a single reference point for information, advice and guidance regarding opportunities to develop and demonstrate employability and enterprise skills.
Based on the 7th floor of our Summer Row campus, in newly refurbished facilities, the hired team comprises of specialist staff with knowledge and experience of:
- Careers advice and guidance
- Placements, work experience and volunteering
- Employer engagement
- Part-time and seasonal work
- Internships, apprenticeships and traineeships
- Graduate schemes and alumni support
- Unitemps – UCB's recruitment agency
Find out more about hired@UCB services.