The spa industry has grown into a global business, which has led to a demand for managers in both in the UK and overseas who possess extensive spa and health and well-being knowledge and practical skills together with management ability. This innovative course will give you the opportunity to build on your existing practical skills whilst enabling you to research a specific area of interest which will increase your independent learning skills and enable you to meet your career aspirations.
Why should I choose this course?
- This top-up degree course provides a foundation from which you may pursue a management career in the UK or overseas.
- You will study the application of current and new spa treatments and massage therapies.
- The degree will equip you with the knowledge and expertise to set up and run your own business.
- You will develop a deeper understanding of the management function as it relates to the spa industry.
The Spa facilities
Our state-of-the-art salons feature the latest equipment and are open to the general public. All treatments are carried out by our students - providing you with the necessary skills in order to gain future employment.
Teaching & assessment
Teaching is carried out by appropriately qualified and experienced lecturers and a typical teaching week will have up to 16 contact hours made up as follows:
- Large group teaching - 6 hours of lectures in lecture rooms. This depends on the students previous qualifications.
- Smaller group teaching - 3 hours of teaching in smaller groups.
- Practical teaching - 4 hours of teaching in the salon environment. This will depend on the students previous qualifications.
- Tutorials - 3 hours being a mixture of personal, group and academic tutorials per week
In addition, you are likely to need to commit 20 hours a week of your own study time in preparation for teaching sessions and preparing for and completing assessment. UCB Online provides a 24 hour access to learning and support material.
Assessment is designed to provide you an opportunity to demonstrate your strengths in a number of ways and so a variety of assessment methods are used.
An estimated breakdown of the assessment for this course is as follows, however this will depend on student’s prior qualifications and module pathways studied:
- Coursework - 68%
- Practical assessment - 23%
- Written examinations - 9%
Please note that the information provided above is indicative only and actual timetables and assessment regimes will be issued to students at induction.
Our teaching and assessment is underpinned by our Teaching, Learning and Assessment Strategy 2015-2020.
Applicants must have a relevant HND with a Merit profile or a foundation degree with 240 credits.
If you have any queries, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
You are encouraged to gain work experience throughout this course because it is a great opportunity to put what you have learned into practice alongside qualified professionals. Over the years we have developed close working relationships within the industry so that we can offer you a wide range of placement opportunities alongside your studies.
Our hired@UCB team will make sure that you are well-matched for your placement and support your progress throughout your work experience.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to move into a wide variety of areas within the spa management sector. Graduates have also gone on to work in spa and beauty promotion, working on luxury cruise ships or as self-employed spa and beauty technicians.
Graduating with this degree will enable you to pursue a career path in:
- Spa assistant management
- Creative supervision
- Beauty product sales and marketing
- Beauty assistant management
- Beauty therapy entrepreneur
hired@UCB is our new student and alumni support service designed to provide a single reference point for information, advice and guidance regarding opportunities to develop and demonstrate employability and enterprise skills.
Based on the 7th floor of our Summer Row campus, in newly refurbished facilities, the hired team comprises of specialist and qualified staff with knowledge and experience of:
- Careers advice and guidance
- Placements, work experience and volunteering
- Employer engagement
- Part-time and seasonal work
- Internships, apprenticeships and traineeships
- Graduate schemes and alumni support
- Unitemps – UCB's recruitment agency
Find out more about hired@UCB services.
Read what our current students and alumni love about UCB and how we helped them begin their career in industry.