The beauty, health and wellness industry is a significant sector of the UK economy with an estimated turnover of £5 billion. This exciting profession continues to grow with ever increasing opportunities for small and owner managed businesses. Extensive career opportunities also exist within the international beauty products industry who require skilled therapists and business managers that can drive business, liaise with retailers and deliver financial results.
In response to this expanding and diverse sector, there is an increased demand for a higher level of education and training, requiring a combination of personal discipline, academic and vocational vigour. This final year top-up course is designed to develop students’ academic ability and equip them to meet the challenges of one of the fastest growing sectors of the UK economy.
Why should I choose this course?
- You will have the opportunity to research a sector of the beauty industry in depth which may be aligned to your future career path.
- You will gain core business skills that will equip you to either gain a supervisory/management position or explore starting your own business.
- UCB has an excellent reputation within the beauty industry who regularly provide guest lectures on new products and treatments. This ensures our courses keep pace with new trends and cutting-edge technology.
The Spa facilities
Our state-of-the-art salons feature the latest equipment and are open to the general public. All treatments are carried out by our students - providing you with the necessary skills in order to gain future employment.
Teaching & assessment
Teaching is carried out by appropriately qualified and experienced lecturers and a typical teaching week will have up to 16 contact hours made up as follows:
- Large group teaching - 4-6 hours of lectures in lecture rooms.
- Smaller group teaching - 2-3 hours of teaching in smaller groups.
- Practical teaching - 0-4 hours of teaching in the salon environment. This depends on students entry qualifications.
- Tutorials - 3 hours being a mixture of personal, group and academic tutorials per week.
In addition you are likely to need to commit to 20 hours a week of your own study time in preparation for teaching sessions and preparing for and completing assessment. UCB Online provides a 24 hour access to learning and support material.
Assessment is designed to provide you an opportunity to demonstrate your strengths in a number of ways and so a variety of assessment methods are used.
An estimated breakdown of the assessment for this course is as follows, however this will depend on student’s entry qualifications and module pathways studied:
- Coursework - 70%
- Practical assessment - 22%
- Written examinations - 8%
Please note that the information provided above is indicative only and actual timetables and assessment regimes will be issued to students at induction.
Our teaching and assessment is underpinned by our Teaching, Learning and Assessment Strategy 2015-2020.
Applicants must have a relevant HND with a Merit profile or a foundation degree with 240 credits.
If you have any queries please contact Ben Furlong: firstname.lastname@example.org.
You are encouraged to gain work experience throughout this course because it is a great opportunity to put what you have learned into practice alongside qualified professionals. Over the years we have developed close working relationships within the industry so that we can offer you a wide range of placement opportunities alongside your studies.
Our hired@UCB team will make sure that you are well-matched for your placement and support your progress throughout your work experience.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to move into a wide variety of areas within the beauty therapy sector. Graduates have also gone on to work in spa and beauty promotion, on luxury cruise ships or as self-employed beauty therapy technicians.
Graduating with this degree will enable you to pursue a career path in:
- Spa assistant management
- Creative supervision
- Beauty product sales and marketing
- Beauty assistant management
- Freelance beauty therapy
hired@UCB is our new student and alumni support service designed to provide a single reference point for information, advice and guidance regarding opportunities to develop and demonstrate employability and enterprise skills.
Based on the 7th floor of our Summer Row campus, in newly refurbished facilities, the hired team comprises of specialist and qualified staff with knowledge and experience of:
- Careers advice and guidance
- Placements, work experience and volunteering
- Employer engagement
- Part-time and seasonal work
- Internships, apprenticeships and traineeships
- Graduate schemes and alumni support.
- Unitemps – UCB's recruitment agency
Find out more about hired@UCB services.
Read what our current students and alumni love about UCB and how we helped them begin their career in industry.
Beauty Therapy Management
Beauty Therapy Management