This one year top-up BSc (Hons) course is designed for you if you hold a relevant qualification and are looking to develop a management career in the food and consumer industries.
The course is designed around a strong core of management, consumer and food studies and focuses on strategic and developmental aspects of management.
Product and quality management is featured as is the exploration of the retail environment. You also have the opportunity to complete a research project/dissertation on a topic of your choice and you can also select an option module.
The food and consumer industry offers a wide range of career destinations. Whether it is designing and developing new products, marketing, retailing and publicising food, or working in consumer services or education, this qualification will give you the relevant skills.
Why should I choose this course?
- By taking this top-up, you can continue to develop your academic and practical skills in preparation for a successful career within the industry.
- You will continue to learn about food commodities through practical application and development work.
- You will examine current trends within the industry such as health, food availability, food security and the rise in food costs.
- You will work in our new Science and Food Innovation Suite, which features the latest food testing and diagnostic technology alongside state-of-the-art kitchen facilities.
- Well-developed links with industry are reflected in the design and delivery of this course.
- Industry-led projects and assignments have a strong industrial focus.
Teaching and assessment
Learning experiences include lectures, seminars, tutorials, case studies, research-based assignment, industrial-based assignments, experiential work, business simulations, live projects and the opportunity to your own experience as part of the learning process.
The assessment regime for this degree has been designed to develop and demonstrate academic knowledge and technical skills relevant to the food and consumer industries. Emphasis is placed on action research and problem-solving as well as time-constrained assessment. Group work is integrated into a number of modules and assessment of performance is developed in seminars, presentations and practical work.
Our teaching and assessment is underpinned by our Teaching, Learning and Assessment Strategy 2015-2020.
Applicants must have a relevant HND with a Merit profile or a foundation degree with 240 credits.
If you have any queries, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
UCB encourages you to seek industry experience throughout your studies and we work with industry providers to offer you a variety of opportunities (paid and voluntary).
Over the years, we have developed close working relationships throughout the food and product development sector. Our hired@UCB team will assist you in finding work that gives you the relevant experience to support your future career plans.
Former students are employed in food product development, flavour technology, food selection and buying, marketing management, health promotion, consumer advice, retail management, merchandising, category management, food journalism and food technology teaching.
Graduates have also chosen to continue their studies and undertake postgraduate level studies in subjects including education, environmental health, food sustainability and business.
hired@UCB is our new student and alumni support service designed to provide a single reference point for information, advice and guidance regarding opportunities to develop and demonstrate employability and enterprise skills.
Based on the 7th floor of our Summer Row campus, in newly refurbished facilities, the hired team comprises specialist staff with knowledge and experience of:
- Careers advice and guidance
- Placements, work experience and volunteering
- Employer engagement
- Part-time and seasonal work
- Internships, apprenticeships and traineeships
- Graduate schemes and alumni support
- Unitemps – UCB's recruitment agency
Find out more about hired@UCB services.
Read what our current students and alumni love about UCB and how we helped them begin their career in industry.
Food and Consumer Management