MA / PGDip
- Course length MA
- 18 months full-time / 2.5 years part-time
- Course length PGDip
- 1 year full-time / 2 years part-time
- Fees (Home/EU)
- View tuition fees
- Fees (International)
- View tuition fees
The global growth of tourism has been accompanied by economic, environmental and social impacts that are crucial to industry development in order for it to expand and develop.
A key role in the development of tourism lies with the planners and developers who control and cultivate tourism to meet the varied needs of the different types of service providers and principles.
This course will examine these important areas, encouraging you to examine the management and development of tourism destinations so you develop an appreciation of the multi-disciplinary approaches required in the sector. You will focus on planning and development initiatives whilst building an awareness of contemporary issues.
A key feature of this course is the ‘live industry project’, where you will travel overseas for an external organisation and apply your skills and knowledge to developing tourism product and marketing development plans. Previous students have completed projects in Cyprus, Italy and Madeira.
View the latest edition of the Traveller@UCB magazine.
Why should I choose this course?
- UCB is a leading provider of innovative undergraduate and postgraduate courses in tourism, with a national and international reputation.
- You will be able to evaluate the effectiveness of tourism and marketing development approaches and appreciate the changing nature of the contemporary tourism environment.
- UCB’s well-developed international links are reflected in our thriving international study body, which makes for a diverse and friendly atmosphere.
- Our lecturers have a wealth of industry experience to draw from and keep up-to-date on industry developments as well as academic research.
- The ‘live industry project’ is a fantastic opportunity to travel abroad, gain experience and use the skills you develop on your course in a real industry environment.
- Give yourself the employment edge and learn a language for free.
Teaching and assessment
Lectures, guest speakers, seminars and e-learning activities will help give you an understanding of the travel and tourism sector as a business. There is also a range of action learning opportunities through case studies, scenario-planning, simulations and live projects.
You will be assessed through case study analysis, presentations, essays, e-discussions, examinations and debates through a range of individual and team-based environments.
Our teaching and assessment is underpinned by our Teaching, Learning and Assessment Strategy 2015-2020.
Tourism Destination Management MA
A good honours degree or equivalent from a recognised institution. Equivalent professional qualifications are also considered.
Tourism Destination Management PGDip
A degree or equivalent from a recognised institution or at least five years’ management experience.
UCB’s standard English language requirement for postgraduate study will apply (IELTS 6.0 or equivalent).
If you are looking for further work experience opportunities, our highly experienced hired@UCB staff members have a diverse mix of advisors with experience in a wide variety of areas including early years, education, learning disability, special education, child protection, community service development and management.
At UCB, we understand the importance of work placements within academic study, and our employer contacts say they give preference to students with qualifications who also have experience within the field.
hired@UCB is our new student and alumni support service designed to provide a single reference point for information, advice and guidance regarding opportunities to develop and demonstrate employability and enterprise skills.
Based on the 7th floor of our Summer Row campus, in newly refurbished facilities, the hired team comprises of specialist and qualified staff with knowledge and experience of:
- Careers advice and guidance
- Placements, work experience and volunteering
- Employer engagement
- Part-time and seasonal work
- Internships, apprenticeships and traineeships
- Graduate schemes and alumni support
- Unitemps – UCB's recruitment agency
Find out more about hired@UCB services.
Read what our current students and alumni love about UCB and how we helped them begin their career in industry.
Tourism Destination Management