Learn a Language for Free
Whatever course you are studying at UCB, you can choose to study a language for free.
Choose a language
You can study practical vocational courses in: French, German, Spanish, Italian, Mandarin
Select your level
There are 5 levels: Beginners, Improvers, Lower Intermediate, Upper Intermediate, Advanced (Modern Languages & Cultural Studies)
1 x 3-hour class per week. Examples of the content covered at each level can be seen below:
- Beginners – personal details, ordering food & drink, shopping
- Improvers – asking for directions, making travel arrangements
- Intermediate – booking holiday accommodation, requesting / giving tourist information, itineraries
- Advanced – applying for a job, CV, giving a presentation, cultural issues
Workshops / subject advice sessions are also available during the week to support Modern Languages. It is also possible to undertake self-study in our fully equipped open access learning centre.
How to enrol
Enrolling for a language is easy - you can enrol online via the student portal. Enrolments take place at the beginning of each semester (September and January).
If you are unsure of your level please contact one of our team of highly skilled linguists:
We offer the following external exams - DELE and DELF exams. UCB is also a registered examinations centre for the Institute of Linguists' Diploma in Tranlsation.
Top 10 reasons why you should learn a language
Employees with language skills are definitely more marketable and have a greater worth in the labour market
- Bob Shankly, HR Director, BMW.
- Employers know that the most basic language ability can make or break deals.
- Being able to converse in another language really does Increase your opportunities.
- Cut out the middle man, save your company or yourself the price of an interpreter.
- Develop an understanding of another society and culture.
- Have a better understanding of the world and how we are all connected.
- Order in a restaurant in the relevant language.
- Enrich and get the most out of your travel experiences.
- Study abroad, undertake an Erasmus placement or a work placement at UCB.
- Network with people from around the world.