Hairdressing and Beauty Therapy Combined Level 2
- Course length
- 1 year full-time
If you would like to apply for September, simply click on the apply button above.
The combined Hairdressing and Beauty Therapy course is a great way to get an insight into these two linked career paths. You will be trained in a practical working environment in our superb training/commercial salons.
Why should I choose this course?
- You know you want to work in the hairdressing/beauty therapy industries but you want to keep your options open
- You want to learn practical, valuable skills that will allow you to hit the ground running in a new job
- You are creative and enjoy following the latest fashions and trends
- You have a high level of commitment and are prepared to work hard to achieve your goals
- You have excellent communication skills
Why Maths and English are so important to your career
Achieving a good level of English and maths is important so that you can compete in today’s labour market and securing the career you’ve always wanted. Alongside your full-time course, students will continue to develop their English and maths skills. If you haven’t yet achieved GCSE grade 4 (grade C) in English and maths at 16 you will continue to study these by resits or by taking Functional Skills at an appropriate level.
- Ratio is very important mixing hair dye etc.
- Basic addition and subtraction are important in calculating the costs of equipment and products and managing the stock
- Percentages are key in working out customer discounts
- Area and perimeter are important when designing and arranging a salon space
- Accurate spelling and a wide and specialist vocabulary are key in the presentation of hair and beauty products and services
- Good quality Speaking and Listening skills are needed when communicating with colleagues
- Customer services skills require good English skills in speaking and written communication
- Accurate reading is a vital skill when following instructions in hair/beauty products and treatments
- Secure English is important when preparing a CV or a business proposal or when advertising/marketing your business
The Spa facilities
Our state-of-the-art salons feature the latest equipment and are open to the general public.There are three modern hairdressing salons, offering cut and blow drys, colour correction and much more, as well as three beauty suites, all professionally run by our highly trained staff and students. All treatments are carried out by our students - providing you with the necessary skills in order to gain future employment.
Please note the entry requirements below reflect the new GCSE grading structure for 2017 entry.
- Normally, you will require a minimum of 4 GCSEs at grade 3 (grade D) or above including English and maths.
- School applicants will be required to provide a good school report and references.
- If you do not have a grade 4 (grade C) or above in English and/or maths, you will be required to complete an assessment so we can ensure you receive appropriate support.
- You should be committed, enthusiastic and have a desire to succeed in the hairdressing and beauty therapy industry
Students are required to buy a uniform and a basic set of equipment. To help keep costs to a minimum, these items are available to buy through UCB. If you have any concerns about the cost of the uniform, please discuss this at your interview as we may be able to help.
What will I study?
- Hair and Scalp Analysis
- Shampoo and Condition hair
- Facial Treatments
- Eye Treatments
- Health and Safety
- Salon Reception Duties
This is a unique course that allows you to study both Level 2 Hairdressing and Level 2 Beauty Therapy in the first year. In the second year, you choose either Level 3 Hairdressing or Level 3 Beauty Therapy. Alternatively, you could progress to the Theatrical, Special Effect Hair and Media Make-Up course.
Your study programme
In addition to your full-time course every student has an individual study programme which ensures that you develop the right skills and experience to progress onto either higher education or gain employment. What’s included in your individual study programme will vary depending on what you have already achieved and your career aspirations.
For example; if you haven’t yet achieved GCSE grade 4 (grade C) in English and maths at 16 you will continue to study these by resits or by taking Functional Skills at an appropriate level. Achieving a good level of English and maths is important so that you can compete in today’s labour market and securing the career you’ve always wanted.
Work placement will form an essential part of your individual study programme and all students will be expected to complete an appropriate work placement related to their full-time course.
To find out more about the work placement opportunities for this course, click on the ‘Work Placement’ tab above.
All of our Hair, Beauty and Make-up Student’s attend some form of work placement. The length of time and schedules vary between days and block weeks. Students gain excellent experience and knowledge from this opportunity, and many gain employment as a result. UCB has excellent industry links throughout the West Midlands. Opportunities are available with hotels and spas, nail salons, hair and beauty salons and pamper events.
A work placement not only gives you valuable experience, it also:
- Helps you to apply what you’re learning into practice
- It gives you a better understanding of how a company or organisation works
- Helps you to develop essential skills such as time management, social and communication skills and the ability to work as part of a team
- Enriches your CV
- Enhances a UCAS application and personal statement should you wish to progress to higher education
- Helps you to consider wider future employment opportunities
At UCB we have a specialised team of Employability Tutors based in hired@UCB (located on the 7th floor at Summer Row) who will provide you with the necessary skills in order to source a work placement.
If students are passionate about their career choice, work placements are vital.
A set of achievements, skills, understanding and personal attributes make a student more likely to gain employment and be successful in their chosen occupation, which benefits themselves and the work force.
When you have successfully completed this combined course there are a broad range of options open to you, including the option of travelling the world and working overseas. Previous students are employed in a wide variety of areas including beauty and hairdressing salons, while others work in more specialised areas such as photographic studios, hair clinics and holiday resorts.
The team at hired@UCB – our student placement and careers service – can help you with advice, information and guidance in finding a job. They can help you develop your work-related skills.
Based in new facilities on the 7th floor of our Summer Row campus, the hired@UCB team comprises specialist staff to help with:
- Careers advice and guidance
- Placements, work experience and volunteering
- Unitemps – UCB's recruitment agency
- Employer engagement
- Part-time and seasonal work
- Internships, apprenticeships and traineeships
- Alumni support
Find out more about hired@UCB services.
Read what our current students and alumni love about UCB and how we helped them begin their career in industry.
Hairdressing and Beauty Therapy Combined
Hairdressing and Beauty Therapy Combined