Health and Wellbeing

Health and on-campus nurse service

A nurse is available for advice on all health matters at University College Birmingham. If you have a medical condition or complaint, the nurse will be able to help you – either by treating you or referring you to the relevant NHS service.

The nurse can provide advice and treatment on a wide range of health issues, including immunisation, smoking, diet and contraception.

The service, like all the others provided by Student Services, is free and confidential. It operates on a drop-in basis and is situated in the Student Information Suite, room 730 (Summer Row). The service is available from 8am to 4pm, Monday to Friday.

The nurse works closely with a counsellor to provide help and information to promote good health and wellbeing among our students. Previous campaigns have focused on healthy eating, combating smoking, depression, sexual health, alcohol and drug awareness, National Aids Day and sun safety.

If you would like to contact the nurse you can do so:

By telephone: 0121 604 1000 ext. 2296

In person: room 730 Summer Row


Wellbeing and counselling

The University provides practical support and guidance on a confidential basis through its Counselling Service.

The service provides a non-judgmental, positive and friendly environment for you to share your thoughts and feelings. Counsellors are trained to be impartial and objective regardless of social or academic factors.

Counsellors are happy to talk about anything that may be affecting you, whether it is linked to your studies or a personal issue. You might need help and support in relation to:

  • depression
  • anxiety
  • low self-esteem
  • relationships
  • eating disorders
  • bereavement
  • sexuality 

Counsellors can advise on welfare issues and make referrals to other agencies. 

The service is confidential and the counsellors work within the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) code of ethics and practice.  

By respecting your values, choices and lifestyle, the counsellor can work to enable you to make changes which you feel are right for you.

Counselling FAQs

What is counselling?
How does counselling work?
When is the counsellor available?
Who do I contact to make an appointment?
Is counselling confidential?

Need help outside University hours?

Anyone feeling distressed or suicidal out of University hours can contact:

  • The Samaritans: 08457 90 90 90 or 0121 666 6644;
  • CALM (The Campaign Against Living Miserably): 0800 58 58 58  (open daily from 5pm to midnight);

Other organisations that may be able to help include: