Help at Hand

Key members of staff

The key members of staff you will have contact with are: your Year Manager/Tutor, your Module Lecturers, your Subject Librarian, your Assistant Dean of School and the Dean of School.

On this page you will also find some details of other support that you may need during your time at UCB, such as The Student Services Unit and hired@UCB, which is the Careers and Employability Suite.

Year Manager/Tutor

You should keep in contact with your Year Manager/Tutor at all times throughout your programme. Your Year Manager/Tutor will give help and advice on any matters which may affect your work and progression, together with any initial personal advice.

You should use your time with your Year Manager/Tutor to discuss your academic performance and what targets you should set to achieve. Your Year Manager/Tutor will also be able to give you feedback on your assignment and exam performance.

On your timetable there is a tutorial hour where your Year Manager/Tutor will be available. This is the time when you should see your Year Manager/Tutor to discuss your academic progress, or any other general concerns that you may have.

Ensure that you find out and note the name and room number of your Year Manager/Tutor.

Module Lecturers

Over your years of study you will receive lectures from many different staff. It is common for a module to be taught by a team of teachers, who together will deliver lectures and seminars and mark your work. Details of the lecturing team for a module can be found in the Module Delivery Scheme, which will be issued to you at the start of teaching of each module. You can also find this information on UCB Online. It is also useful to make a note of workshop times when staff are available for academic help.

Assistant Dean of School

The Assistant Dean of School is the line manager of your Year Manager/Tutor. They have responsibility for the management of your programme.

You can see your Assistant Dean of School if your Year Manager/Tutor is away, or if you have a problem relating to your programme which you consider serious and would prefer to discuss with a member of staff at a higher level.

You should also speak to your Assistant Dean of School if you wish to apply for exemption from any of the modules on your programme.

Dean of School

The Dean of School is the line manager of the Assistant Dean of School. They have overall responsibility for a range of Higher Education programmes and report directly to the Deputy Vice–Chancellor (Academic Affairs).

If you have a problem relating to your programme, which you have not been able to resolve satisfactorily with your Year Manager or Assistant Dean of School, you should discuss it with your Dean of School.

Notices about your programme

You will find that information relating to your programme is constantly being placed on UCB Online, which is UCB’s e-learning environment, and on your noticeboard by lecturers and your Year Manager/Tutor. Information can include times for tutorials, assignment information, guest lectures and residentials. You should check UCB Online least twice a week.

Details of when and where examinations take place can also be found on UCB Online and the separate examination noticeboard for your programme. Your results are also published in these places.

Study Support

Support for the academic needs of students is available through two Academic Skills Centres and a wide range of workshops. The Specific Learning Needs Co-ordinator provides guidance and support to students with particular needs, including dyslexia and/or visual/physical impairment. For advice and assistance, call in to the first floor Academic Skills Centre in the Summer Row Campus. Further details of their services can be found here.

The Student Services Unit

The Student Services Unit provides a range of services to students at the University. These include:

  • The day-to-day running of the halls of residence and advice and guidance for students who wish to live in the private sector;
  • The provision of term-time counselling and nursing services;
  • Advice on financial matters such as student finance applications, hardship funding and budget counselling.

The Student Services Unit is located in Room 709 on the Seventh Floor of the Summer Row Campus. All services, except the Counselling Service, operate on a drop-in basis, although some restrictions on time exist.

hired@UCB - The Careers and Employability Centre

hired@UCB provides guidance and information on careers, information on full- and part-time job opportunities, including those from the Unitemps recruitment agency and also volunteering opportunities. For more information, please click here.

The Student Services Unit, hired@UCB and the International Student Centre are all located on the Seventh Floor of the Summer Row Campus.


Full-time ‘home’ students may apply to the relevant Student Finance company for assistance with childcare costs. The Student Services team offers guidance on the application process.  If you are studying part-time, please contact 0121 604 1000 extension 2605 to discuss the funding options available to you.