Changing Your Programme

Every year, some students decide that they wish to change their programme of study, and move either to another programme within UCB or to a programme at a different institution, or take some time out from their programme.

There are many reasons why you might wish to consider a change of direction. However, you should remember that changing programmes or institutions is a major decision, which can affect your future education and working life. You should always consult a member of academic staff and a professional careers advisor, even if you feel certain you have made the right choice. It may be that the dissatisfaction which you are feeling can be resolved in a way less drastic than a change of programme. Try if possible to give yourself time to reflect, and a chance for things to alter.

Within UCB

Please note that you do not have an automatic right to transfer from one programme to another within UCB. Successful transfer depends upon normal admissions procedures including whether there are places available on the new programme. Remember also that you must contact Student Finance England or other funding body to check if your financial support can be transferred from one programme to another.

Internal Transfer

If you wish to transfer to another programme you should speak to your Assistant Dean of Studies, who will be able to advise you. If you decide to proceed with the transfer your Year Manager/Tutor will need to complete a transfer form and send it to Finance.

Transferring to Another University

If you wish to transfer study at another HE institution you should discuss this with your Year Manager/Tutor. You should also contact the institution(s) to which you hope to gain admission to find out about vacancies and transfer possibilities.  If you decide to proceed with the transfer, your Year Manager/Tutor will complete a transfer form clearly stating which university, course and year you will be moving to and send it to FISU.

Financial Implications of an Internal or External Transfer

As a general rule, you can obtain funding for the length of the course to which you are transferring, plus an extra year. Therefore, if the transfer will result in your total number of years of HE study (past and future) totalling more than this, you will not receive full funding for every year of your course. If there is a period of study for which you are ineligible for full funding, you will only receive the basic element of the maintenance loan but no maintenance grant or tuition fee loan for this period. If you are considering transferring you should speak to a member of the FISU or Student Finance England (0141 243 3600) or other funding body to see what financial impact your transfer will have.

Taking time out

There are a number of reasons, often personal, sometimes financial, that can lead to a student deciding to take a break from their studies. Before you do so, always discuss the situation with your Year Manager or Assistant Dean of Studies, as there may be other options open to you. You should note that you must successfully complete all of the required assessment for a module in order the gain the credit for that unit. Note also that all UCB HE programmes, both undergraduate and postgraduate are normally subject to time restrictions for completion of the programme.

You should also discuss the matter with your Local Authority or other funding body before you take any action, as your entitlement to fee support or loans at a later date could be affected. Non-EU students should also consider the implications for their stay in the UK.


Students are not automatically eligible for a deferral of studies and an application to defer is essential. The registration forms for deferral are available on the website and further details about the process are available from the Registry Manager. The full details of the deferral process are available in the General Student Regulations.

Non-EU Students

We are obliged to inform the UK Border Force of any change to the duration or nature of your study.

You should check your contractual obligations if you are renting a property and wish to leave. You may also become liable for Council Tax.

Credit Accumulation and Transfer

All Higher Education programmes at UCB carry a credit value which is measured in points. (For example, one full year of an undergraduate degree programme carries a potential credit value of 120 points. So one module of study is likely to have a credit value of between 10 and 20 credits.) This credit value links UCB to other academic institutions in the UK and means that if at any point you find that you need, or wish, to move to another Higher Education Institution to continue your studies, you could claim exemption from repeating the same modules of study at the new institution.

Similarly, each module carries European Credits under the European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS) which enables comparability with universities in Europe. A total of 60 ECTS Credits are awarded for each successful year of study.

Programme Specifications

These are a formal statement of the structure and aims of your programme and can be helpful in clarifying the skills and knowledge that you are expected to develop. For more information, contact the UCB Registry on the Sixth Floor of the Summer Row Campus. Alternatively, check your programme on the UCB website or on the UCB Portal.